The little balloon that is changing the lives of sinus suffers is a great alternative to otherwise more invasive procedures or suffering continued sinusitis symptoms. Since FDA approval of the procedure, doctors have used it to help sufferers of chronic sinusitis as opposed to surgery or other medications. From 2011 to 2014, there has been a 59% increase in the procedure. What exactly is this new alternative? Are you a candidate? Find out how you may remedy chronic sinusitis.
A balloon sinuplasty or known as DSP is a procedure where a small flexible balloon catheter opens up blocked sinus passageways. This facilitates drainage of the mucus that builds up from chronic sinusitis symptoms. Before balloon sinuplasty, all a person could rely on was a functional endoscopic sinus surgery or conventional medicines. Despite this is still a successful procedure, many individuals hesitate to undergo invasive surgery of the sinuses. Today, another option using balloon sinuplasty is an effective and safe method for those who are suffering from sinusitis. It is non-surgical and minimally invasive, so there are fewer side effects reported.
Are You a Candidate?
If you are a long-term sufferer of chronic sinusitis, this may be the right procedure for you. Here is a general list of symptoms of those who are candidates for BSP.
- Recurrent sinus infections that do not heal with medication.
- Headaches that are most often felt around your eyes.
- If you suffer from chronic bad breath or if you have a foul taste in your mouth.
- If you chronically have difficulty breathing through your nose.
- Overall chronic nasal problems.
Since this procedure is minimally invasive, it makes the process simpler than regular surgery. Patients only have a small amount of downtime with a quick recovery.
- Once the balloon is inserted, the doctor inflates the balloon and with this, it restructures the walls of the sinus passageway.
- The procedure is also great at maintaining the integrity of a person’s sinus lining.
- Recovery is simple and most patients can go home after just a few hours.
Balloon Sinuplasty is Clinically Safe and Effective
- There is no cutting or incisions made, only minimally invasive.
- Less pain, minimal bleeding and bruising.
- Not as much swelling or risk of infection.
- Most often, no tissue or bone removal is needed.
- You may not need nasal packing.
- In less time than traditional surgery, you can resume normal activities in just a couple of days.
- Patients often report an overall improvement in wellbeing and a better quality of living.
- Children may also be candidates.
If you are one of the 37 million people who suffer from chronic sinusitis with these symptoms, it may be time to call your doctor to discuss your treatment options. You don’t have to suffer in silence. Reach out to your doctor and find out if the little balloon that is changing lives can change yours too.